Formed in early 2009, Sail Training Shetland is a registered Scottish Charity and is a collaboration between The Swan Trust, Lerwick Port Authority and Shetland Tall Ships Limited.
This initiative follows on from the success of various sail training schemes since 2006 and builds on the successful placement of trainees during The Tall Ships Races event hosted in Shetland during 2011.
We provide annual sail training opportunities to young people aged between 15 and 25 years from all over Shetland, using our partnerships with tall ship operators to provide sail training on a variety of different ships.
The main objectives of our organisation are:-
- To provide opportunities for the development and education of young people from Shetland and elsewhere (aged 15 to 25 years) inspiring positive change through the adventure, challenge and experience of Sail Training.
- To provide, in the interests of education, citizenship and community development, sail training opportunities and other leisure time occupation available to young people with a view to improving and advancing their life skills, knowledge and personal development.
- To promote, establish and operate sail training schemes of a charitable nature for the benefit of the community.
- To promote education and to provide, or assist in the provision of, facilities and opportunities for outdoor education, recreation or other leisure-time occupation in the interests of social welfare for young people with the main object of increasing their prospects of obtaining paid employment, of improving their conditions of life and helping develop their physical and mental capacities so that they may grow to full maturity as individuals and members of society.
The Committee Members of Sail Training Shetland are:-
- Peter Campbell (Chairperson)
- Melanie Henderson (Secretary)
- Victor Sandison (Treasuer)
- Fiona Dally
- Ailish Parham
- Shayne MacLeod
- Georgia Leask
- Iain Johnson