This summer we have funded twelve young people to take part in Race One of The Tall Ships Races, between Aalborg in Denmark and Fredrikstad in Norway. Sail trainees are voyaging onboard Swan and Statsraad Lehmkuhl between the dates Thursday 27 June – Sunday 14 July.
NEW for 2020! Adventure sail in conjuction with Shetland Boat Week
In 2020, Scotland celebrates its Coasts and Waters with a year-long programme of events and activities which will shine a spotlight on these vital elements of our landscape. Sail Training Shetland will bring a new adventure sail to Shetland Boat Week 2020, using Shetland’s sail own Tall Ship Swan to explore Scotland’s Coasts and Waters and a themed sail training day of activities.
Swan will take part a new sailing adventure, starting in Stornoway and ending in Shetland. Weather permitting, boats may call into Orkney and/or Fair Isle on the way up to Mainland Shetland, where they will berth or anchor around the coast for adventure activities, such as canoeing, coasteering and dinghy sailing ending with a few social events including a barbecue and party. The final day of the trip will be at Lerwick, taking part in a Sail Training Activity Day to launch Shetland Boat Week 2020.
Here’s a quick rundown of what’s on offer:
- Open to anyone aged 15 - 25, 11 night voyage, living and working onboard Swan
- Adventure activities, including canoeing, coasteering, dinghy sailing
- Crew swap opportunities, if other sail training vessels participate
- Crew mixer opportunities at barbecues and parties
- Recording and sharing vlog posts
- Team building and personal development
- A digital project to create a promotional video/vlog, edited and produced by Promote Shetland. This will be shared and promoted at Shetland Boat Week and widely across social media.
How to sign up
Available placements will be advertised at the end of February, with details showing on our website from then.
We will be recruiting for trainees at the Anderson High School Local Opportunities Event at the end of February 2020, look out for us there.
You can get ahead by signing up for our news www.sailtrainingshetland.com to receive alerts.
The deadline for applications will be Monday 30 March 2020.